Monday, June 30, 2014

Make Your Own Non-Toxic Tub & Toilet Bowl Cleaner!

In the process of going completely non-toxic in our household products, I've switched to using vinegar and baking soda for a great deal of our cleaning. They're cheap, effective, and totally safe so I don't have to lock them away from the kids. But I wasn't 100% happy with using them to clean the toilet. Now I've found a simple recipe I really like for a non-toxic toilet bowl cleaner, and I've been using it for the last few months.  I found that it also works well in the tub! Here it is...

 

Non-Toxic Tub & Toilet Bowl Cleaner
  • 1/4 cup Dr. Bronner's Liquid Castile Soap (try Lavender or Peppermint!)
  • 1 3/4 cup water
  • 20 drops essential oils (I used 5 drops each of: Lemon, Melaleuca/Tea Tree, Eucalyptus, & Thieves... this blend smells wonderful and each of the oils have powerful cleaning properties!)

Mix all ingredients in a 16 oz or larger squeeze bottle. Give it a good shake each time before using. For the container, I started out using a spray bottle but it eventually got clogged because of the baking soda. What I ended up finding that worked best was squeeze bottles from Sally's Beauty Supply that are made for applying hair color. You could also use an old dish soap container or obviously a toilet cleaner bottle if you have one. I put the recipe right on the bottle so it's quick & easy to refill the bottles.

The original recipe included 2 TBSP baking soda, but I found that it eventually caused it to clog the squirter.


No comments:

Post a Comment