Why Would Anyone WANT to Homeschool?
- It WORKS! - Get your facts straight! Check out the nation's largest study of home schoolers!
- What about Socialization? - Here's answers to the most common question/concern for home schoolers.
- Why Home Schooling Rocks For Our Family - This is what I love about it, based on our experience.
- Here's the "Low Down" from one home schooling mom's experience.
- Where's the Breach? - One family's school experience that led them to home schooling.
- Blessings of Homeschooling - Here's why so many families are happy home schoolers!
- Home Schooling Makes Me Happy Check out this video of a thirteen year old boy's lecture at a global conference! He shares his experience leaving the school system to home school, how he's been able to tailor his education to his interests and learning style, and some amazing opportunities he's seized along the way as a result of it.
Reasons to Re-Think Sending Your Kids to School...
- Read or watch this compelling speech from one High School Valedictorian who dared to speak her mind! (love it!)
- Deficiencies of Public Education - One mom found out what's really being taught to her children in school.
- My View: Why I Chose Home Schooling - Hear from a mom whose work as a pediatrician convinced her of the negative effects of modern schooling, and motivated her to home school her kids. A decade later (and almost done) she says she wouldn't trade it for anything. Check out her book, Highlighting Homeschooling: Empowering Parents and Inspiring Children.
- 18 Reasons Why Doctors and Lawyers Homeschool Their Children - Here's a post that went viral, from pediatrician/homeschool mom who had to overcome her own false assumptions and prejudices against home schoolers, as she became one!
- Why Schools Don't Educate - Read this excellent speech given by New York State's teacher of the year! You can find more of his writings online here, and I highly recommend checking out his books. They really helped me rethink my view of education.
- Why Teachers Quit - Half of all new teachers quit within 5 years. Here's why.
- Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed - watching this documentary prompted our first-ever discussion about homeschooling.
- Do Schools Kill Creativity? In one of the most famous TED talks ever given, Sir Ken Robinson suggests that creativity is as important in education as literacy, and we should treat it with the same status. His engaging speech will leave you with plenty to think about.
- Your Parental Rights Don't Exist When You Send Your Kids to Public School - Did you know that a mom got shackled, booked in jail and had her mug shot taken simply because her son missed 12 days of school for being sick?! Though she didn't have doctor's notes for all the absences (she couldn't afford all the co-pays), some of them were due to a school-wide virus severe enough to be reported on the local news. His absences didn't impact him academically, since he remained an honor-roll student with a 91 average. In fact, just days after his mother's arrest, her son won the "student of the month" award. Due to the publicity around all of this her family now feels forced to move so her son will be able to be treated fairly in a new school system.
- A Brief History of Sex-Ed: How We Reached Today's Madness - What was once a simple biology lesson is now a "comprehensive sexuality education. It includes discussion of identity, gender, reproductive rights, and discrimination. Children learn that they're sexual from birth, and that the proper time for sexual activity is when they feel ready. They're taught that they have rights to pleasure, birth control, and abortion." They learn a variety of ways of sexual expression, and are taught that STD's are "love bugs"... they're "just a part of growing up." Oh, and five-year-olds get free condoms.
- Planned Parenthood Teaches Teens to Have Sex & Choose Their Gender - Planned Parenthood is gaining access to leadership in sex education classes across the nation, and they're doing so without parents' prior knowledge. Here's a news story highlighting one example of them pressuring 13-year-olds to have sex and even choose their gender.
- Anal, Oral, LGBT Sex Lessons Starting in Kindergarten -Kindergarteners will be taught Heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, and transgender lifestyles. Lessons will include discussions about oral and anal sex and the different sexual lifestyles lifestyles each live. Fox News video report is at the link.
- School System Prepares to Teach Gender Fluidity - One of the nation's largest school systems is preparing to teach children that there is no such thing as 100 percent boys or 100 percent girls. Also, boys who identify themselves as girls can use the bathrooms and locker rooms of their choice.
- When an Adult Took the Standardized Tests Forced on Kids - Here's a Washington Post article following a successful business man / school board member as he took the standardized tests required of 10th graders.
- Pre-School and Kindergarten: Too Much Too Soon - Kindergarten is the new first grade, and Pre-School is the New Kindergarten. Schools are pushing more and more academics on kids at younger ages, but their literacy, language and math skills continue to plummet.
Still Concerned About Home Schooling?
- 6 Homeschooling Misconceptions Erased - This is an excellent post written by a mom who never intended to home school but became one overnight.
- Think You Can't Do It? - Here's an excellent linkup of bloggers discrediting the most commonly used "I Can't Homeschool Because _____" statements.
- Many Tulsans Choose Home School Over Public... Here's a recent news story and video about home schoolers in Tulsa.
- 15 Key Facts about Home Schoolers Home schoolers are everywhere! Did you know home schoolers do better on the ACT, they're more likely to attend college and consistently have better college performance? Read what college is typically like for today's home school students.
- Home School Teens Ripe for College "Myths about home schoolers are false, and most are well-prepped for college, experts say." Check out this article from U.S. News & World Report.