Monday, June 9, 2014

Make Your Own "Bug Off" Spray!

You know how OFF bug spray has a warning label to only spray it on your clothes, not your skin? I don't know about you, but my clothes don't get bug bites, my skin does.  Now I have a home-made bug spray with no toxins in it, that is so gentle that even babies can use it! Not only is it SAFE for  skin, but it doesn't leave it feeling or smelling disgusting, like all store-bought bug sprays do. Best of all it only takes about a minute to whip up.

Bug Off Spray Recipe
2 oz water
pinch of sea salt (an emulsifier)
15 drops Purification Essential Oil*
5 drops Peppermint Essential Oil*

I've seen several essential oil bug spray recipes online, but this is the one I use and like. Of course you want to use a good quality plastic bottle, which I found at my health food store. An empty Thieves spray bottle also works well, just half the recipe because it's only a 1 oz bottle. For an 8 oz spray bottle, use 60 drops Purification and 20 drops Peppermint.

If you want to change up which oils you use, some other combinations I've seen recommended include Lemongrass with Citronella and Basil, or Lavender with Geranium and Peppermint. Just use about 10 drops essential oils per ounce of water. My spray recipe includes the essential oil blend "Purification,"  which gives me the benefit of an optimum blend of ingredients without having to purchase them all individually. Besides preventing bug bites, Purification is also great for treating them too... just apply one drop of the full-strength Purification oil to the bite. It works wonders. One night my two-year-old got bit up with a cluster of huge bites all over his back, so I applied Purification. The next morning you couldn't even see the bites any more!

No comments:

Post a Comment