Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I Took His Hand and Followed

by Mrs. Roy L. Peifer

My dishes went unwashed today, 
I didn't make the bed, 
I took his hand and followed 
Where his eager footsteps led. 

Oh yes, we went adventuring, 
My little son and I... 
Exploring all the great outdoors 
Beneath the summer sky

We waded in a crystal stream, 
We wandered through a wood... 
My kitchen wasn't swept today 
But life was gay and good. 

We found a cool, sun-dappled glade 
And now my small son knows 
How Mother Bunny hides her nest, 
Where jack-in-the-pulpit grows. 

We watched a robin feed her young, 
We climbed a sunlit hill... 
Saw cloud-sheep scamper through the sky, 
We plucked a daffodil. 

That my house was neglected, 
That I didn't brush the stairs, 
In twenty years, no one on earth 
Will know, or even care. 

But that I've helped my little boy 
To noble manhood grow, 
In twenty years, the whole wide world 
May look and see and know.

No comments:

Post a Comment