Friday, December 18, 2009

Homeschool Books I Recommend


I've read about every book about homeschooling and education that I can get my hands on and these are the top few books I'd recommend to you:

A Charlotte Mason Companion: Personal Reflections on the Gentle Art of Learning, by Karen Andreola - This is one of my favorite homeschooling books, which I didn't find until I'd been homeschooling several years. It's perfect for the parent considering homeschooling, as well as the one who already is. I borrowed it from the library, but in hindsight wished I'd bought it so I could have highlighted and referenced parts of it again.

The Read-Aloud Handbook, by Jim Trelease- Buy it, read it, live it! Every parent should read this book, whether they home school or not! It 's an unbeatable resource for understanding the changes we all need to make at home to help encourage a love of reading and learning in our children. It also examines the differences in home life between children who excel and those who lag behind. Regardless of income level, your home environment and habits are the hugest determining factor in how easy and naturally your child will learn new things. 


Homeschooling for Excellence by David & Micki Colfax- This book's about the lifestyle of learning and the authors' sons all ended up attending Harvard.


For the Children's Sake: Foundations of Education for Home and School, by Susan Schaeffer Macaulay - This book shows what education can and should be, and how you can achieve it with your children.


Home Education Series by Charlotte Mason - Her work has continued to be one of the hugest contributions to homeschoolers to date, and is the method of homeschooling that I personally identify most with. It's currently being re-released by Simply Charlotte Mason. (It's also available online, free for public reading.)


Things We Wish We'd Known: A Guide to Abundant-Life Homeschooling, both by Diana Waring - These two books are full of veteran homeschoolers' advice, and I found them to be a very helpful read while formulating a homeschool approach. 


Talkers, Watchers, and Doers: Unlocking Your Child's Unique Learning Style and The Way They Learn and Learning Styles are the three books I found helpful in learning HOW kids learn and how to reach them and teach them best.


The Well-Adjusted Child: The Social Benefits of Homeschooling by Rachel Gathercole - if socialization is a question or concern you have with homeschooling, this is THE book to read. If you want the short version, you can read my article, What about S..S...S... Socialization?

No comments:

Post a Comment