In yesterday's post, KILL Those Dust Mites!!! I told you about the grody little creatures invading your bedding, carpet, and crawling all over your kids' stuffed animals. Today I'm going to share with you the dust mite spray that I came up with to kill those pesky creatures. After reading how effective Eucalyptus Essential Oil* is at killing dust mites, I made this spray to use on mattresses and stuffed animals between washings. You can also use some of this spray on your dusting cloth to actually kill the dust mites as you dust. Besides killing dust mites, this spray is also great to neutralize odors and repel bugs, making it a good choice to use in closets and shoes.
Here's my recipe for a 4oz spray bottle:
- 15 drops Young Living Eucalyptus Essential Oil*
- 10 Young Living Purification Essential Oil Blend*
- Fill the rest with distilled water & shake to mix.
Spray on stuffed animals, mattresses, and other bedding to kill dust mites. You'll still want to vacuum afterwards to remove their feeces, which is what actually affects your health and allergies.
- As I mentioned in Monday's post, you can stick stuffed animals and other bedding in the freezer to kill dust mites, but if your little ones can't stand to be without their lovies for 2 days while they freeze and another day while you wash them, this is a nice alternative. Spray the dust mite spray on the stuffed animals to kill the dust mites, and then vacuum or cold-wash it afterwards to remove residue. Then they can still have their teddy bear back before bedtime.
- Remember to bring this spray along with you next time you stay in a hotel to cleanse the room and bedding!!
- To read my full post about dust mites and the other measures you should take to get rid of them, read my post "Kill those Dust Mites!"
ABOUT THE OILS USED:
- Eucalyptus Essential Oil* is antibacterial, anti-infectious, antiseptic, and antiviral.
- Purification Oil Blend* purifies and cleanses bacteria, kills odors and their bacteria, mold, and fungus.
- Between these two oils, this is a great spray for keeping your sleeping area clean and de-yuck-ifying kids stuffed animals!
*All essential oils are NOT the same... please read this before buying any!