Tuesday, July 7, 2015

I Wash My Face With Honey!

If you told me a few years ago that I'd prefer washing my face with raw honey over Arbonne's face wash I'd think you were nuts. But it turns out that honey is an amazing skin and hair treatment... that's why it's no surprise to find it listed as a nourishing ingredient in many natural skincare products. Why???

Raw honey's full of anti-oxidants, which can combat free-radical damage, promote cellular repair and healing. This is a strong defense against wrinkles, skin discoloration and dullness. It also has incredible antibacterial properties, which aid in both acne treatment and prevention. It's a great anti-inflammatory, which helps combat redness and swelling. It can even naturally tighten the pores.


Those properties make honey a beneficial skincare choice for pretty much anyone with a face. Who doesn't want brighter, clearer skin and either wrinkle prevention or repair?

In case you're wondering, it's actually not an icky, sticky process to use raw honey as face wash. Unlike runny, drippy, processed honey, raw honey is nice and thick. I just put a dab on my finger, hold it under hot running water, then apply it like any cleanser. The hot water gives it a creamy, spreadable consistency and it doesn't feel sticky. An optional step at this point is to place a hot, steamy washcloth over the face to steam it into the pores better for a minute or two. Sometimes I do this, sometimes I don't. Then I just remove it with a hot, wet washrag. Easy.

I found that washing my face in the morning with honey left it feeling like I'd already applied a light moisturizer, so sometimes that's all I do in the morning.

I will mention that honey does not remove makeup, so it may be most suitable as a morning cleanser for most people. I use it in the evening too on days I don't wear makeup, which is a lot of days. :)

Since I already have a squeeze station to store my home-made babyfood in handy little pouches, I store my face-wash honey in a squeeze pouch too. I found that it's a super-handy way to store it, since I can easily squeeze out a pea-sized dab of honey on my finger rather than dipping my finger into an open container. So if you happen to have a squeeze station, this is a great use for it! If not, you may prefer a regular squeeze container of honey.

Please be aware that most store-bought honey is filtered and pasteurized to extend shelf life, and this destroys most of its healing properties. The packaging must say "RAW"!!! If it takes you a long time to use up your honey, you may notice that over time the top crystalizes. The honey is still good! If you heat it up, the crystallization goes away.

Raw honey is amazing stuff! In fact, we now buy it from a local beekeeper by the gallon! Stay tuned because next week I'll be sharing more surprising ways to use raw honey. (Read it here: "Raw Honey to the Rescue!")

1 comment:

  1. I read this and immediately washed my face with honey! :) I will be doing this for a while to see if I like it better! I mostly use Shea Moisture African Black Soap, and also the oil cleansing method, which I like both. My face does feel very nice right now!

    ReplyDelete