- Home economics is easier to teach through home schooling than otherwise because it can naturally be included in your day. It includes the basics of nutrition, cooking & meal planning, sewing, maintaining a house & yard.
- Is There Life After Housework?: A Revolutionary Approach to Cutting Your Cleaning Time 75% by Don Aslett is a good book to use, teaching all children how the "pros" are so efficient in house cleaning.
Thursday, October 29, 2009
Thursday, October 22, 2009
The Ultimate Homeschool Physical Education Game Book, by Guy Bailey, a veteran PE teacher who adapted traditional PE activities to become family-sized games, allowing you to teach physical education in the home setting.
Thursday, October 15, 2009
- This is the best option I've found for a good, free beginning typing course, complete with color-coated illustrations showing children where to place their fingers on the keyboard. It does require Adobe Flash Player (a free download).
- This is another option for a free, web-based typing course. It has 27 guided lessons to learn step-by-step from the beginning. There are no required downloads, just a required free registration. You can sample the first lesson without registering though. You can also check your typing speed on this site.
- After trying both of the two links above (since they're free), I decided it was worth it to buy a more kid-friendly typing course so I ordered Typing Instructor on Amazon. My six-year-old likes it.
Typing Resources & Games:
Thursday, October 1, 2009
The best thing you can do to help your children be better writers is to read with them more! Students who read the most recreationally are generally the best writers. They absorb quality language through their reading, and then it flows out more effortlessly when they're given opportunity to write.
Rather than using endless worksheets, making writing a drudgery, try to create and utilize meaningful, real life writing opportunities. Some of these include journaling, notes, cards, or letters to friends and relatives, and even list-making for the beginning writers.